The office of the Additional Director General (Engg) (East Zone) located at Kolkata is one of the five such Zonal Offices of All India Radio & Doordarshan. The other zonal offices are those of North Zone at Delhi, West Zone at Mumbai, South Zone at Chennai, and North-East Zone at Guwahati. The Zonal Offices cater to the needs of both All India Radio & Doordarshan of the respective zones. The budget & staff requirements of these zonal offices are also met by both the organisations accordingly. The ADG(EZ) office operates from two locations in the city of joy Kolkata, one from the Akashvani Bhavan at Eden Gardens, Kolkata-1 for AIR & all Administrative activities and the other from the zonal office bldg. at the Doordarshan Complex at GolfGreen, Kolkata-95 for the Doordarshan Activities.
Previously, these offices were known as Regional Engineer's (RE's) offices. First RE(EZ) was Shri A.Venkateswaran, who took over charge on 17.08.1968. Shri J.N.Bisaria was the first CE(EZ), who had taken over charge on 29.07.1982.
Presently the post of Chief Engineer has been redesignated as Additional Director General (Engineering)JURISDICTION:-
The Jurisdiction of the O/O The Addl. Director General (East Zone) is over AIR & Doodarshan stations in four states of West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand & Orissa.
- Installation, testing & commissioning of new projects of AIR &Doordarshan in the Zone.
- Selection, acquisition & related activities in respect of AIR & Doodarshan sites for new projects.
- Overseeing the departmental construction activities (of Civil Construction Wing - CCW) at the sites.
- Supervision of maintenance & operations of existing AIR & Doordarshan stations.
- Co-ordination of the requirements of spares by the stations.
- Provision of funds under Capital Head for major activities at the stations.
- Working as a link between AIR & Doordarshan Directorates on one hand and stations on the other for periodical reports and other maintenance & developmental activities.
- Service matters of Non- Gazetted Engineering Staff in the Zone including transfer, promotion, departmental examination, etc.